Thinking Ahead With Creative Projects


I just read a blog post submitted by a teacher in the UK under the name Fatima.taha.  I really identified with her post, which was entitled, “Did you Ever Regret Creativity?” because I have found myself in similar situations.  She speaks of a creative assignment given to her students in which they are to create a poster around “a female role model who has made an impact on society”. Then, when they came to the judging of the poster, they realized they hadn’t given the students a specific criteria to be judged upon.

She realized that without giving them a specific rubric in advance it was difficult to judge their level of creativity.  I have found myself in similar situations where not only did I not have a rubric in advance, but I made to many variables in the assignment to be graded. Fatima had some good advice to keep yourself from these situations:
1      #1 -Have a clear aim and share it with your students
2      #2 -  Set expectations for yourself and the students alike
3      #3 -  Design a rubric to serve that aim and share it with the students from the beginning


I would also add to this to not make your rubrics over complicated so that assessing your students becomes very complicated and takes too much time to give them feedback. 

Comments

  1. These are great points! As an art teacher I have to be fairly specific with my rubrics in order to make sure we set goals with our creativity. Students can get as creative as they want, but they also must know the requirements and main objectives of the lesson for it to be successful. Great post!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment